Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Best Buds


Rosemary announced the separation of our blog today. I knew this was inevitable, especially since I was such a poor contributor to the blog. She’s a better, more eloquent writer anyway. But I have to say, a tinge of sadness ran through me when I got the Facebook message that she now had her own blog. But I’m also proud of her. She’s gone through a lot with two of her best friends getting married in the last year. The three of us were the three amigos – the closest of friends. And now we must be shared.

Marriage and my friendship with Rose are alike in many ways. In both relationships, I have been attached at the hip, going nowhere without the other. We share everything together. We laugh together, are silly together, talk about life together, worry together, feel happiness and sorrow for one another. From both relationships, I’ve learned my love can grow beyond what I think it can.

Although physical distance and busy schedules may separate us, and unfortunately it’s impossible to be in two places at once, we’re still best friends. Luckily, the fact that we’re family will always keep us tied together. Being family, we have an advantage that many best friends don’t have.

On Rose’s new blog, she has a quote that reads, “What's left after what one isn't is taken away is what one is.” I’m no expert on poetry interpretation, but my take from this is over the last 22 years, Rose and I have taught each other a lot, although she’s probably taught me a lot more about how to be a good person. What we are today has been shaped by our friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment